The deadline for this commission has now closed
Monday 10th – Saturday 16th December 2018
Artist led collective Groundwork Pro is offering: 2 x one week paid residencies in Cardiff.
The residencies are open to emerging and established choreographers/ dance artists. The week can take many forms; we want it to be shaped by you and your current artistic enquiries. It does not need to be product driven, but can be if that is relevant to you. It is a chance for each artist to develop and explore their practice.
The support GWP can offer will be responsive to each choreographers needs.
We ask that each artist consider how they might share their residency with the wider community of artists.
This residency is offered in partnership with Chapter and is funded by ACW.
What do we offer?
- 1 week of studio time (Monday – Saturday) in either Chapter Llofft or Stiwdio.
- All-inclusive fee of £500. We anticipate that this will be used as a fee for a solo choreographic project, however we will also consider proposals where this is allocated in a different way
- Groundwork Pro advocates for all artists working to be paid.
- The fee cannot be used as match funding for an ACW lottery grant.
- A pre residency meeting with a member of the GWP team to ensure support is tailored to the needs of you and your work.
- Opportunity during the week for artistic exchange with the other residency artist.
- Access to morning GWP class with Charlie Morrissey on Wed, Thurs, Fri.
*Please note: This class will be in one of the residency studio spaces (9.30am – 11am), one of the residency participants will therefore get access to their space from 11.15am, the other residency participant will have sole use of their space.
- A mentor/collaborator/facilitator for three half day sessions (£75 per half day paid by GWP). This is to be chosen by each participant and should be someone you feel will be useful for your process, who can enhance or develop your practice. It can be someone from GWP team, Charlie Morrissey, or someone else. GWP can help identifying an appropriate mentor if required.
- Technical equipment (agreed in advance).
- Documentation, tailored to each participant to fit what would be useful for your process and practice. This might be film, photography or writing agreed in advance between participant and GWP team.
- Facilitated studio sharing/dialogue/feedback event on Sat 16th Dec. This can be an informal talk about the process, a physical sharing or whatever is useful to your practice and process. GWP will frame this event and support attendance according to what is relevant to the artists.
- A post residency meeting with a member of the GWP team- this can include artistic dialogue/exchange, advice for the next stage of development or informal feedback on the residency process.
- Selected artists are welcome to apply to our access fund to cover additional costs. i.e. travel/accommodation for artists based outside Cardiff, childcare, or costs associated with removing any barriers to participation.
To take part you’ll need to
- Be a choreographer / dance artist that is not in full time training. Artists from other disciplines wishing to explore a choreographic idea within their practice are also welcome to apply.
- Be based in Wales or have a strong connection to Wales through your practice.
- Be open to sharing part of your practice, research or process.
The selection process
Groundwork Pro and guest panel member will be selecting participants from details provided in the application only. The decision will be reached by the majority opinion of the panel.
We will be making the selection from the following criteria
- The depth of the idea presented
- The approach that will be taken through the residency
- The potential for you to deepen your choreographic practice
- Deadline for Application Friday 19th October, 5pm
- Decision made by Friday 26th October
- Residency – Monday 10th – Saturday 16th December 2018
How to apply
Your application should outline the following points, please do this in a way that suits you and your idea (i.e not necessarily in this order):
- The idea of your project, or practice that you wish to explore, through this residency.
- The approach that you will take.
- Who do you envisage working with as a mentor / collaborator/facilitator, or would you like GWP to support you in finding someone?
- If you already know, how you would like to document the week?
- If you already know, what format might your sharing take?
- How will this residency contribute to your wider practice/development of your work?
- If your project is not a solo project for yourself or needs other resources please outline your budget. i.e if you are working with other dance artists/collaborators please tell us your financial arrangements.
- Do you have a preference regarding space: Llofft or Stiwdio?
Do you envisage making use of Charlie Morrissey’s class during the week? (This is not necessary but helps us allocate space).
Do you need sole access to your space for the week or are you happy for class to take place there (9-11.30 Wed, Thur, Fri)?
- Please include a biography and no more than 2 links to recent works (image, video, or written description).
- Please make us aware of any access requirements you may have for you to undertake this residency.
- Please let us know if you intend to apply to our access fund to support this residency.
Written applications should be submitted using no more than 2 pages of A4.
Alternatively, you can apply by video, answering all the questions. The video should be no longer than 5 mins long and uploaded to vimeo or another suitable platform.
If you would like this information in a different format or require support in preparing an application, please contact us directly.
Applications should be Word or PDF documents or a vimeo link and emailed to email@example.com
Deadline: Friday 19th October, 5pm