2 x one week paid residencies in Cardiff.
Application deadline: Monday 13th May 2019
The residencies are open to emerging and established choreographers/ dance artists. Groundwork will facilitate a sharing event on the Friday. The week can take many forms; we want it to be shaped by you and your current artistic enquiries. It does not need to be product driven, but can be if that is relevant to you. It is a chance for each artist to develop and explore their practice.
The support GWP can offer will be responsive to each choreographer’s needs.
This residency is offered in partnership with Chapter and is funded by ACW.
What do we offer?
- 1 week of studio time (Monday – Saturday) in either Chapter Llofft or Stiwdio.
- All-inclusive fee of £500. We anticipate that this will be used as a fee for a solo choreographic project however, we will also consider proposals where this is allocated in a different way
– Groundwork Pro advocates for all artists working to be paid.
– The fee cannot be used as match funding for an ACW lottery grant.
- A pre residency meeting with a member of the GWP team to ensure support is tailored to the needs of you and your work.
- Opportunity during the week for artistic exchange with the other residency artist.
- A mentor/collaborator/facilitator for three half day sessions (£75 per half day paid by GWP). This is to be chosen by each participant and should be someone you feel will be useful for your process, who can enhance or develop your practice. It can be someone from GWP team or someone else. GWP can help to identify an appropriate mentor if required.
- Technical equipment (agreed in advance).
- Documentation, tailored to each participant to fit what would be useful for your process and practice. This might be film, photography or writing agreed in advance between participant and GWP team.
- Facilitated studio sharing/dialogue/feedback event on Friday 21st June. (This can be whatever is useful to your practice and process. GWP will frame this event and support attendance according to what is relevant to the artists.)
- A post residency meeting with a member of the GWP team- this can include artistic dialogue/exchange, advice for the next stage of development or informal feedback on the residency process.
- Selected artists are welcome to apply to our access fund to cover additional costs. i.e. travel/accommodation for artists based outside Cardiff, childcare, or costs associated with removing any barriers to participation.
To take part you’ll need to:
*Be a choreographer / dance artist that is not in full time training. Artists from other disciplines wishing to explore a choreographic idea within their practice are also welcome to apply.
*Be based in Wales or have a strong connection to Wales through your practice.
*Be open to sharing part of your practice, research or process.
The selection process
Groundwork Pro and guest panel member, Fearghus O’Conchuir will be selecting participants from details provided in the application only. The decision will be reached by the majority opinion of the panel. We are aiming to include one artist at an early stage of their choreographic practice and one more established maker.
We will be making the selection from the following criteria:
The depth of the idea presented
The approach that will be taken through the residency
The potential for you to deepen your choreographic practice
Deadline for Application Monday 13th May 2019
Decision made by Friday 26th October
Residency – Monday 17th – Saturday 22nd June 2019 (The sharing will take place Friday 21st and on Saturday 22nd the space is available if you wish to continue your practice.)
How to apply:
Your application should outline the following points, please do this in a way that suits you and your idea (i.e not necessarily in this order):
*The idea of your project, or practice that you wish to explore, through this residency.
*The approach that you will take.
*How will this residency contribute to your wider practice/development of your work?
We also need to know:
*Who do you envisage working with as a mentor / collaborator/facilitator, or would you like GWP to support you in finding someone?
*If your project is not a solo project for yourself or needs other resources please outline your budget. i.e if you are working with other dance artists/collaborators please tell us your financial arrangements.
*Please include a biography and no more than 2 links to recent works (image, video, or written description).
*Please make us aware of any access requirements you may have for you to undertake this residency.
*Please let us know if you intend to apply to our access fund to support this residency.
Written applications should be submitted using no more than 2 pages of A4. Alternatively, you can apply by video, answering all the questions. The video should be no longer than 5 mins long and uploaded to vimeo or another suitable platform.
If you would like this information in a different format or require support in preparing an application, please contact us directly.
Applications should be Word or PDF documents or a vimeo link and emailed to email@example.com
Deadline: Monday 13th May 2019
An access fund is available for Wales based artists who may need assistance with travel, accommodation, childcare, costs associated with disabled access or other costs incurred.